OUR BACHMAN ANCESTORS AND OUR KIN by Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford, 1979.

 link to pdf provided by Pierce Swofford, grandson of Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford

Lorena Bachman Cochran (b: Jan 24, 1882 Paige, Texas; m: Bert Clarence Cochran Dec 30, 1910; d: Jul 18, 1969)

Lorena Bachman moved with her parents from her birthplace in Paige, Texas to Throckmorton, Texas in 1891.  While the older sisters in the Bachman family did the sewing, cooking, and cleaning, Lorena’s chores dealt with supervising the younger children. She always claimed one hip was higher than the other because she carried babies on that hip.  She received great pleasure from roaming about the pastures and locating nests of quail and rabbits.  These early responsibilities and enjoyments probably helped to make her the successful teacher of young children she became in the Throckmorton school.  Lorena was the first to receive a diploma from Throckmorton Public School in 1901.  She attended Denton Normal College (later North Texas State) for a year and then began teaching, first at Sibley, then Goree (Miller Creek) and then started teaching Spring Creek in 1909.  Here, Lorena met Bert Clarence Cochran, the local postmaster and proprietor of the P.J. Cochran and Son general.  They married in the Throckmorton Methodist Church December 20, 1910 after falling in love and they lived in Throckmorton where Bert was employed as clerk and bookkeeper by the John E. Morrison Co., General Merchandising Store (retail chain founded in 1881 by early Graham, Texas, resident John E. Morrison, and incorporated in 1907. The company dealt in dry goods, groceries, furniture, undertaking, hardware, and implements. In addition to the store in Graham, there were branch stores in the Texas towns of Loving, Newcastle, Throckmorton and Olney).  Their first son, Bert Carlton Cochran was born in 1912.  

Olney:  In 1913, the family moved to Olney where Bert continued for a few years with the John E. Morrison Company until he became the owner of the Olney Garage and Oakland automobile agency. Psalm Brown “Sam” Cochran was born in 1915 and Patrick Francis Cochran was born in 1917.  One of the kids first remembrances are associated with an event at Olney.  One Sunday, his father who often served as a lay preacher in small communities such as PadgettTrue, and Profit, loaded the family into the buggy along with a full lunch basket.  That day, the drive was rather long and Carlton (first son), become bored and restless while seated in the rear of the buggy, amused himself by dropping the noonday lunch piece by piece on a back wheel without attracting his parent’s attention.  Upon arrival at the meeting place, the empty basket was discovered and Carlton’s amusement was ended, severely.

Wichita Falls: In October 1918, the family moved to Wichita Falls and Bert established the Cochran Motor Co., Chevrolet Agency and also speculated in oil field activities.  The car selling business boomed as oil was discovered in the nearby Burkburnet and Bert became known as “Chevrolet Cochran” throughout the area. Mary Jane Cochran was born in 1919.  During this time from 1919–1920, the Cochran family also consisted of Lorena’s sister, AuntFlorence Bachman (a math teacher in the high school), and a fox terrier dog.  Lorena was a homemaker, but also had an African American woman who came in to do heavy household chores. This woman would bring her small boy to the house and the Cochran kids would play with him, but Lorena stopped using the woman when some items began to be missing.  The family lived on 9th Street in a one-and-a-half story house where the outside was covered with red cedar shingles.  Aunt Florence occupied the top-floor bedroom where the children were not permitted to go.  In that time, automobiles were moved from factory to dealer in railroad boxcars and propped in place with two-by-four timbers. Bert would bring the timbers home and stack them off the ground in the back yard which was a great place for the kids to play and hide and seek.  Stretching beyond the back yard was open pastureland for some distance to the Wichita River. There were pecan trees on the river banks, and the family was permitted to pick the ripe pecans. Also in the pasture was a ground water tank filled with catfish. On one occasion, the owner drained the water from the tank and invited the neighbors to take all the fish where Carlton and Sam made a great haul.  As the owner of the Chevrolet agency, Bert sometimes stored cars in the garage at home.  On two remembered occasions, Sam, with the assistance of his little brother Pat, investigated the mechanical works of the dashboard gauges and of the timing gear.  Frustrated with first efforts to look behind the enclosed instruments, the two discovered that a hammer was a reliable opener, but it spelt trouble for the autos and eventually the boys.  Another incident stands out was the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) expanding from Houston, Texas in the fall of 1920 and chartering other communities, where Wichita Falls was number 78 in spring of 1921 and the family remembers a meeting in the country outside the city one evening where Bert loaded the family into his car, and drove out to see the burning cross and the many white-robed, masked participants.  On another occasion, Carlton came down with measles and was isolated in the back bedroom. Nevertheless, Sam and Pat caught the measles too, and were put in a front bedroom. To entertain themselves, Sam and Pat would sit on the pedal of a sewing machine creating a movement like that of a rocking boat.  Another time, Sam and Pat were permitted to take a train trip alone to Grandma Cochran’s home (Mary Adella Easter Cochran) in Newcastle, Texas. There they met many aunts and uncles and first heard of the army service of Uncle Cone Walker. The days on the trip were hot and humid so the train windows were open. This allowed smoke, soot, and ashes to enter the cars and to cover the passengers. What a dirty mess!  Jack Bachman Cochran was born in 1921 and then the economic panic of 1921 hit…business failures were the norm and Bert Cochran was not immune. On May 13, 1922, Bert filed a petition of bankruptcy in the Federal District Court.  He lost the Chevrolet agency and other assets, yet was allowed to retain an old used car and sundry papers believed to be of no value. (Note: One of these supposedly worthless papers was a partial mineral interest in a tract of land in Jack County, Texas. In 1963, it was proven to be productive of oil and gas. Subsequently the interest generated several thousand dollars in revenue for Lorena and the five children. (Pat claimed they continued to produce even up to 2005, Jack had Louis 1 & 2 & 3 and Henderson 1 & 2 managed by Jay Management which do not appear to be producing in 2018)  After the bankruptcy, the family lifestyle underwent a drastic change and moved to a Britain Street house.  Jack remembered that he grew up on sweet potato milk cause the family couldn’t afford real milk. Bert acquired a newspaper stand on a street downtown and Lorena would bake a variety of candies for sale at the stand while Carlton sold newspapers. Sam entered the first grade at Alamo School in September 1922. South of the Britain Street house was a vacant lot that soon became a neighborhood playground. There was a cave dug in the ground that the kids would crawl into through a tunnel…a great adventure!  For a while, the family had a white bulldog whose tail had not been amputated, but eventually gave him away.  Uncle Jack Cochran (Bert’s brother) lived with the family for a few months while he had a job driving a truck and hauling oilfield equipment around the leases.  Eventually, Bert became a car salesman and gave up the newspaper stand business.

Seymour:  In the summer of 1924, Bert accepted the position of manager for Cooke Chevrolet Company where they had acquired the agency in Seymour, Texas, and built a new display room, office space, and a shop.  So, the Cochran family moved to Seymour in August 1924 where their new home was on a corner lot a few blocks north of the County Court House with the lot facing east. There were screened porches on the south and west sides and a half-porch on the front or east side. The house had a drawing room, a family room, two bedrooms, a bathroom with no toilet, and a kitchen with a pantry. Between the drawing and family rooms was a double sliding door.  The backyard had two large mulberry trees and an alley were the garage, trash barrel, and the privy stood. A wooden fence beginning at the back of the house extended to the alley. Carlton was in the sixth grade, Sam in the third grade, and Pat started schooling in kindergarten, but was promoted after two weeks to the first grade because he could already read and write. On weekends, Carlton worked for Bert in the auto shop as a mechanic’s helper and car washer. Sam got a job at the grocery store (he was given a small silver cup as the best helper). The family attended Sunday school at the Methodist church and in the spring of 1925, Pat was baptized and joined the church. About this time Pat saw his first picture show (movie) and was amazed by the action thinking all the action was on the stage behind the screen. Pat also recalls his first memory of a dental visit around this time too. During the summer of 1925, Pat studied second-grade work with Lorena’s guidance and skipped second grade for third grade while Mary Jane entered school for the first time in September 1925.  The summer of 1926, Bert took the family on a tour of East Texas, South Texas, the Gulf Coast of Texas, and Central Texas visiting many historical places and Cochran/Bachman relatives.  The trip was made in a Buick, packed full on the top, back, and running boards and they would camp out at nighttime.  The day the family left Seymour, Bert and Lorena stopped at the courthouse and voted in the primary elections, the first-time women had been permitted to vote.  It was a long road trip that took them to Dallas, Teague, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Huntington, Ora, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Houston, Galveston, Corpus Christi, Padre Island, San Antonio, and Austin.  When they finally returned home to Seymour, they were surprised that Mr. Cooke had sold the Chevrolet agency in Seymour and Bert was without a job. 

Throckmorton: Quickly Bert negotiated with the Chevrolet Company and Mr. Cooke concerning the situation and completed a deal to open an agency in Throckmorton, Texas. Thus, in August 1926, the family packed and moved in with Grandma Bachman (Martha Jane Huff Bachman) in Throckmorton while looking for a house (but ended up living with Grandma until after Christmas and the New Year).  Grandma’s house was set on the side of a forty-acre piece of land, in a wire-fenced yard. West of Grandma’s home was where her son Madison and his family lived. Ten acres on the west side of the land was a cultivated field, to the north of which was a washed-out ravine that had been dammed to form a water tank. Water from the tank was pumped to the houses. The rest of the land was mesquite covered pasture.  In September 1926, the children were enrolled in the Throckmorton school…Carlton was in the ninth grade, Sam was in the fifth grade, Pat was in the fourth grade, and Mary Jane was in the second grade.  Going to school, they walked a mile of dusty (or muddy when it rained) road as there were no paved streets in Throckmorton in 1926. The Throckmorton schoolhouse was a three-story high building constructed of limestone rocks with a basement level on the back or north end. On the East side was the two-story Rankin Hotel (burned down about this same time).  Between the school and hotel was an open, mesquite-covered area where children who rode horses to school could tie them. To the north of the building, about 100 feet, were separate privies for boys and girls. To the east of the privies was an eroded gully known as “Big Ditch.”  Metal fire escape slides extended from the top floor on the west and east sides of the building.  Early in 1927, Bert rented the Berry house located on the schoolhouse hill. There were six rooms (three bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, and a kitchen) and the front and rear of the house were long half-porches. The backyard was surrounded by a shed and pen for a cow, a fenced chicken yard and house, a privy, and a garage. A dirt cellar was in the yard near the house.  The Berry house had electricity, so Bert bought an electric stove and with the stove, Lorena received a set of china dishes.  On hot, humid nights, the family would move their beds into the backyard and sleep with mosquito netting placed over.  On May 4, 1928, Throckmorton celebrated the Cisco and Northeastern Railroad Co. (C&NE) completion of railroad into Throckmorton with many events scheduled throughout the day. Bert was the master of ceremonies for the speeches held on the court house lawn and since 1928 was an election year, the speakers were prominent candidates for state and national political offices.  Indians from an Oklahoma reservation came and held a buffalo hunt with bows and arrows. There was also a horse race. A barbecue was held and the community ran out of food because of the large crowd that attended. Carlton, Mary Jane, Jack, and Pat mingled with the crowd, but Lorena and Sam could not join the festivities because Sam was sick with scarlet fever.  After a few months in the car business, Bert sold the Chevrolet Agency and opened a real estate/crop insurance business. He purchased and moved a building to a location on the west side of the main street, Minter Avenue, leasing the front room to Ben Franks for use as a barber shop and using the rear room as an office.  Mr. Franks arranged to pay the monthly rent by giving Bert daily shaves and cutting the children’s hair.  In 1928, Bert purchased the Richard lot and house and moved the family once again. The house was a two-story frame building set in an iron-fenced yard. The yard was set back about one hundred and fifty feet west of the street. Back of the fenced yard was a lot in which there was a wood pile, a chicken yard, a privy, a cow lot, a two-story barn, and a chicken house. A parcel of land, approximately 75 feet wide, extended from the road to the back of the barn lot.  The Richard house had nine rooms. On the ground floor were the master bedroom, living room, front parlor/bedroom, dining room, kitchen, utility room, a cloak closet, and a cistern of water and the upper floor contained four bedrooms. There was no running water as the house level was too high to be served by the city water system.  While looking at an antique claw foot tub much later in life, Jack remarked that wasn't an old tub...he remembered the #4 galvanized washtub.  Since he was the youngest, he always had the cold/used water from everyone else's baths.  The house was heated with wood-burning stoves and fireplaces.  Bert had the parcel-strip plowed and sown with maize corn and Sam and Pat were required to hoe out weeds, milk the cow, feed the chickens, and chop wood. Carlton worked for Bert in the office while sharing the house chores with Sam and Pat when at home.  The Cochran’s were strong and active supporters of the Throckmorton United Methodist Church during these years and in early 1929, the church made plans to build a new church building.  Bert was on the church’s Board of Stewards that raised the necessary funds and the new building was completed by March 1930.  The family paid a part of their annual pledge by contracting to do the janitorial work in the church (Sam and Pat would sweep and clean the building weekly).  Bert taught a young men’s class and sang in the choir.  Bert’s real estate business required him to make sales trips to the upper Texas plains and eastern New Mexico.  After one such trip, he awoke Sunday morning, June 22, 1930 with a bad headache and did not go to church.  By mid-afternoon he must have felt better because he drove over to Grandma Bachman’s house to take Sam and Pat there to wash Uncle Charles and Aunt Mary Hoge’s car (visiting from Weslaco, Texas).  Bert parked at the fence gate, and Sam and Pat got out of the car.   As they walked up the path to the screen porch where the family group was gathered, someone noticed that Bert did not drive away. Instead he had slumped, unconscious in the seat of the car. The uncles on the porch went to Bert’s car and lifted and carried him to a spot in the shade on the yard.  (An alternative story is that Bert slumped in the seat of the car while driving and Jack had to stop the car.)  Dr. Berry was called and made his examination and said that Bert had died of apoplexy. Bert’s body was taken to the family house where the undertakers prepared him for burial. On Tuesday afternoon, funeral services were held in the Methodist Church, and he was buried in the Bachman plot in the Throckmorton Cemetery.  Lorena was faced with settling Bert’s financial affairs and earning a livelihood, just as the Great Depression had begun. To relieve things, Aunt Florence and Uncle R. D. Robinett took Mary Jane and Jack with them to Amarillo, Texas, for the remaining summer months.  Bert had no life insurance and there were mortgages on the Richard house, the office, and the car. Carlton helped as he was employed at Sam Donnell’s gasoline station for $1 per day and Ben Franks hired Pat to clean the barber shop and shine shoes at 10 cents per shine of shoes and twenty-five cents for boots. Lorena would rent rooms and small apartments to school teachers and couples so as to get income. Lorena having taught school before her marriage, logically decided to start a kindergarten class, since the Throckmorton School did not have one.  In September 1930, Carlton did not return to Texas A&M, Sam entered 9thgrade, Pat entered 8thgrade, Mary Jane entered 6thgrade, Jack entered fourth grade, and Lorena’s kindergarten enrollment was a disappointing twelve children.  Sam and Pat had classes in wood shop and agriculture and joined the Future Farmers of America (FFA) club whose members were required to have a productive project. Sam and Pat converted the second floor of the barn into a closed pen and kept hens in the enclosure without a rooster so as to produce infertile eggs. Outside in the yard they kept a mixture of hens and roosters purchased as baby chicks from a chicken hatchery. They were placed in brooders until they grew feathers and they sold the eggs and fryer chickens to town grocery stores or a commercial buyer.  Sam also got a timekeeper job with the Texas Highway Department as they were paving all the roads into and out of Throckmorton and surrounding counties.   

Wichita Falls and Canyon:  The school year ended in May 1931, and Lorena enrolled at Midwestern Junior College in Wichita Falls to get a teaching certificate, estimating she needed one summer and an entire year of studies. She asked her Bachman and Cochran relatives for support so the kids were farmed out.  In Wichita Falls, Lorena and Mary Jane lived there with Grandma Cochran, Sarah, and Birdie Mae.  Also in Wichita Falls, Jack lived with Aunt Justine (Bert’s sister) and Uncle Jim Goodloe. Sam and Pat lived with Aunt Mattie Wright, and Carlton stayed in the Richard house as he was still working at the Sam Donnell gasoline station.  In late August 1931, Lorena completed her summer college work and returned to Throckmorton. She prepared to enroll at West Texas State Teachers College (WTSTC) at Canyon, Texas and arranged to move sufficient furnishing from Throckmorton to a four-room house in Canyon. Sam and Pat went with her and attended Canyon High School, walking one mile to and from school while Lorena walked slightly less than a mile to the college campus.  Carlton quit his Throckmorton job at Sam Donnell’s to go to Los Angeles, California where his cousin Alton Wright (Aunt Mattie’s son) helped get work at a gasoline station.  

Throckmorton:  In May 1932, Lorena earned her teaching certificate and returned to Throckmorton with Sam and Pat and where Mary Jane and Jack also joined from Wichita Falls.  The Throckmorton School Board hired Lorena to teach the first grade at a salary of $85 per month for nine months. After Carlton left for California, Lorena returned the Richard house to the mortgage company, thus the family stayed at Grandma Bachman’s house while Lorena looked for a home within walking distance of the school. She found and rented for $10 per month the small Putnam house that was three blocks west of the school ground.  The Putnam house faced eastward and had a living room, two bedrooms, dining room, bathroom, kitchen, and a small screened-in porch. Lorena and Mary Jane shared the front bedroom, and the boys had the back bedroom. The fenced backyard contained a small cow lot and a storage shed where they kept a few chickens and a cow.  On the north side of the yard Lorena planted a vegetable garden. Lorena taught the first grade in Throckmorton for twenty-seven years.  During the summer seasons, she continued her college education and finally received her degree in 1948 from North Texas State.  In December 1954, the community held a banquet in her honor for outstanding services as a teacher.  She retired in 1959, and her activities for the next years were visiting and being visited by her children and grandchildren. One memory from Jack Cochran was that his mother, Lorena, was so straight laced she didn't even drink root beer because it had the work beer in it.  During her last years, Lorena lived in Bunkie, LA, where son Jack resided, until her death in July 18, 1969.  Lorena is buried in the Throckmorton Cemetery.  Siblings of Lorena Bachman were:

  1. Martha Josefene (Bachman) Wright  (b: Nov 27, 1874 McDade, Texas; m: Thomas Jackson “Jack” Wright Jun 9, 1897; d: Aug 17, 1950)  Thomas Jackson “Jack,” son of James Morrise and Temperance (Massie) Wright, was born November 11, 1867 in Louisa County, Virginia.  His widowed mother brought Jack and her other children to Throckmorton in the early 1880’s, where her brother, James B. Massie, lived and was serving as County Clerk.  Jack was a practicing attorney when he married Martha Josefene “Mattie” Bachman, the first child of Alonzo B. and Martha Jane (Huff) Bachman. At that time, Mattie was a teacher in the primary grade of the local school.  Jack served as Throckmorton County Judge for six years after his election in 1908 and as County Attorney prior to his death May 21, 1920. Mattie continued to live in their home until her death on August 17, 1950.  Their children were James Frederick “Fred,” Leland Brown, Alton Puckett, Catherine, and Thomas Malcolm.  Of these children, only Fred made Throckmorton his home and as his father before him, he served Throckmorton County as Judge and Attorney.
  2. Nancy Rosnella (Bachman) Wright  (b: May 13, 1876 McDade, Texas; m: George Clark Wright Jan 20, 1901; d: Jan 31, 1963)  George Clark Wright was born August 1, 1870, in Louisa County, Virginia, the son of James Morriss and Temperance (Massie) Wright.  He was a successful stock-raiser and real estate broker when he and Nancy Rosnella “Nannie” Bachman were married.  The U.S. Census for 1900 shows “Nannie” living with her parents and working at the occupation of “Saleswoman (Groc.)”. George, in addition to dealing in livestock and land, was a well-known mule breeder, bank director, school trustee and Steward in the Methodist Church.  The Wrights had eight children: Bessie Lee, Andrew Bachman, Raymond, Janie Alice, Madison Brown, Temperance, George Clark Jr., and Nanyree “Sally.”  George Sr. died August 29, 1934 and Nannie on January 31, 1963 and they are buried in the Throckmorton Cemetery.  
  3. Mary Alice (Bachman) Hoge  (b: Oct 22, 1877 McDade, Texas; m: Charles H. Hoge Jan 12, 1914; d: Dec 7, 1963)  Mary Alice Bachman was the third daughter of Alonzo B. and Martha Jane (Huff) Bachman.  After completing her public schooling at Throckmorton, Mary attended the State Normal at Denton, Texas and began her teaching career at age 18 at Proffit in Young County.  She was teaching in the Fort Worth school where on January 12, 1914, she married Charles H. Hoge, a real estate man from Glendale, California.  After a few years as a housewife, Mary re-entered her profession in the California schools.  Later, Mary and Charles moved to Weslaco, Texas where Mary continued teaching for about 30 more years.  The people of Weslaco honored Mary by naming one of their schools “The Mary Hoge Junior High School.”  Charles died at Weslaco on November 20, 1963 and Mary, 17 days later.
  4. Joseph Addison Bachman  (b: Jan 2, 1880 McDade, Texas; m: Minnie Cox Dec 24, 1905; d: Feb 10, 1947)  Joseph Addison Bachman was the fourth child and first son of Alonzo B. and Martha Jane (Huff) Bachman.  He assumed a leader role with his siblings and proved to be an able assistant for his parents.  Addison served as the Throckmorton County Clerk from 1902 to 1906.  He married Minnie Cox in 1905. Shortly before Addison left the Clerk’s office, he built a small store next door to his father’s store, in which he set up a millinery shop that Minnie operated.  Later, the two stores were joined, and with his brothers, Madison, and Hiram, he began the Bachman Bros. General Merchandise store. Addison and Minnie’s two small children died in 1918.  He then sold his interest in the Bachman Bros. store to his brothers and moved to Dallas.  There he owned, in the Oak Cliff area, a hardware, furniture, and grocery store complex.  He died there on February 10, 1947, and Minnie died there on June 30, 1955.  Both were interred in the Bachman family plot in the Throckmorton Cemetery.
  5. Madison Brown Bachman (b: Sep 1, 1883 Bastrop, Texas; d: Mar 2, 1966 Throckmorton, Texas)
  6. Hiram Abiff Bachman (b: Feb 6, 1887 Bastrop, Texas; m: Kate McCabe Dec 26 1912; d: Apr 5, 1970 Odessa, Texas)
  7. Grover Cleveland Bachman (b: Feb 1, 1889 Paige, Texas; m: Mary Thomas Luttrell Feb 6, 1915; d: Feb 8, 1945 Fort Worth, Texas)
  8. Florence Louis Bachman (b: Jun 13, 1892 Texas; m: Rush Daleth Robinett Aug 23, 1924; d: May 11, 1965Throckmorton, Texas)
  9. Gordon Huff Bachman  (b: Jul 12, 1894 Throckmorton, Texas; m: Edith Wagoner May 5, 1921; d: Nov 12, 1956)  Gordon Huff Bachman was the youngest child of Alonzo B. and Martha Jane (Huff) Bachman.  He was named, in part, after his grandfather, William Gordon Bachman.  Gordon followed the examples of his older brothers and worked on the farm and in the store.  Upon his father’s death in 1918, he tended the farm where he raised cotton, corn, wheat, and stock cattle.  On May 24, 1921, Gordon and Edith Wagoner, born March 12, 1902, were married.  Edith’s parents were Tunis Albert “T.A.” and Minnie Alice (Hicks) Wagoner of Throckmorton County. Gordon purchased the Lon Bachman lands from his siblings and mother and continued farming until his death on November 12, 1956.  After, Edith continued to live on the home place.  Their children were Kenneth Wagoner, Addison Alonzo, John Bradley, Robert Beverly, and Edith Gale.  Addison was a casualty in the Italian campaigns of World War II.

Alonzo Brown “Lon” Bachman (b: Mar 27, 1850 Jackson County, Alabama; m: Martha Jane Huff Jan 15, 1874; d: Apr 10, 1918)

Alonzo Brown “Lon” Bachman came to Texas with his parents about 1851.  Here in northern Bastrop County, he met his future wife, Martha Jane Huff (born May 14, 1852 in DeKalb County, Alabama).  After their marriage on January 15, 1874, Lon and Martha continued to reside in the northern Bastrop County area where Lon farmed Alonzo Brown Bachmanand ran a cotton gin. During this period, their children Mattie, Nannie, Mary, and Addison were born near McDade and Lorena, Madison, Hiram, and Cleve were born in Paige.  In 1890, Lon and Martha decided to find more land and a better location for their growing family, particularly as their three oldest girls were growing into lovely young women, and the marriage prospects in Bastrop County with it’s element of rough, foreign (German) infiltration did not look too pleasing to Lon.  So, in May 1890, Lon made the trip into the North Central Texas area where he purchased 640 acres of land four miles northeast of the town of Throckmorton. To move the family from Paige to Throckmorton was not the easiest of tasks.  Lon chartered an “emigrant” railroad car in which he loaded the household goods and some horses and cows.  Lon and the oldest son, Addison, rode in this car while the others took the passenger train into Albany.  There, Lon loaded the wagons and drove the livestock to Throckmorton with the help of Addison and a hired hand.  Martha and the others were sent by “mail,” stopping at Fort Griffin for dinner and a change of horses.  In Throckmorton, the first home was purchased by Lon from Will and Florence Harrington in October 1891.  On this 320 acres were a small four room house a good water well, and a dugout, essentially a cave that future generations remarked was rough living.  In the surrounding land, there were only a few trees and lots of scrub Martha Jane Huff Bachmanmesquite.  Coyotes, some big lobos, antelope, and prairie chicken abounded with a multitude of buffalo bones and horns lying where the animals had been shot ten or fifteen years earlier.  The house from the farm was soon moved into town so that the children could attend school.  A smaller house was built in front of the dugout and used for sleeping while the cooking and eating were done in the dugout.  Below on the creek was a good dam-and-tank that supplied stock water and was a good swimming hole.  Crops were cotton, corn, sorghum, wheat, and oats.  Watermelon seeds were put in the cotton and there were always four or five rows plowed for melons, peas, cushaws, muskmelons and cucumbers.  Two more children, Florence and Gordon were born here.  For several years, Lon continued to live on the farm with the family in town. Martha was a devoted member of the Methodist Church from the time of the move and Lon also joined later after he purchased the Boyer drugstore.  He later sold the drug store to Dr. Hardy and replaced it with general merchandise.  No telephones were here in the 1890’s and early 1900’s so the young Bachman boys could make a few pennies or receive treats at Mr. Franz’s confectionery by delivering notes written by the older young men to their girlfriends.  The Bachman children, 10 in all, were instructed early to work and act independently.  The girls taught in the County schools or worked in Lon’s store for various periods of time before their marriages.  The sons engaged in farming and later, ran the store which they purchased from their father.  Lon was a Master Mason of Paige Lodge No. 562 and remained an active member in Throckmorton’s Fort Griffin Lodge No. 485.  He and Martha built their last home on the forty acres he purchased in 1905, at the Northeast corner of the town of Throckmorton.  Here they welcomed their friends, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  Lon died in 1918 and Martha in 1951, both in Throckmorton, TX.  Both are buried in the family plot in the Throckmorton cemetery. Adapted from Our Bachman Ancestors and Our Kinby Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford, copyrighted in 1979:  Adapted from Our Bachman Ancestors and Our Kinby Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford, copyrighted in 1979:  

William Gordon Bachman (b: Sep 20, 1822 Jackson County, Alabama; m: Caroline Green 1846; d: Dec 5, 1882)

William came to Texas with his family first in 1838.  In the spring of 1842, William signed up with the Texas army to repel Mexican General Rafael Vasquez who had invaded the Republic, and captured San Antonio.  William fought the Mexicans as far West as the Guadeloupe River and ultimately General Vasquez was defeated.  William Gordon married Caroline Green and started a family with 9 kids from 1848 to 1868, and was eventually paid for his service to Texas in 1853 when he bought 320 acres in Austin County, Texas. Census records show William Gordon Bachman and his family were in Bastrop County, Texas.  In 1861, he was raised a Master Mason in Post Oak Island Lodge #181 in Beaukiss, Texas, in which he was an officer of the Lodge in 1879 and 1880.   William Gordon Bachman was buried in the Ridgeway Cemetery, three miles west of Paige, Texas and Caroline Bachman died March 12, 1900, in Williamson County, TX. 

John Baughman (b: Oct 24, 1774 Orangeburg District, South Carolina; m: Mary Catherine Barbara Binnicker Aug 28, 1800; d: Jan 23, 1860)

Adapted from Our Bachman Ancestors and Our Kin by Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford, copyrighted in 1979: Little is known of John Baughman’s early life with the first record being that he and Mary Catherine Barbara Binnicker were married (Mary was born in 1778, the daughter of a Protestant minister, Charles Binnicker who was a German immigrant).  They had 11 children from 1801 to 1822 and interestingly, the family Bible used to record the names first used the spelling Baughman, with later entries written as Bauchman and Bachman.  JohnJohn Baughman Baughman is said to have fought in the War of 1812, but no record has been found.  John Benecke Bachman (10thchild) was born in Barnwell County, South Carolina in 1820 and William Gordon (11thchild), was born in 1822 in Alabama, indicating the family starting migration to the West.  Mary Catherine Barbara Binnicker Baughman died August 27, 1827, and on December 29, 1829, John Baughman married Rachel Caraway (maiden name believed to be Williams), a widow with several children.  The 1830 census found the family in Pickens County, Alabama.  On October 1836, Henry Bachman (3rdchild) bought a tract of land from Drewry Sanders and his wife Rhoda, situated in Carroll County, Mississippi, one of the original counties of the Choctaw Cession for five hundred dollars (the third and final Choctaw Cession in Mississippi was made in 1830 and Chickasaw Cession in 1832). The following year in 1837, John Baughman and his family moved to Carroll County, Mississippi where he aquired some property by 1838.  On November 7 of 1838, John deeded all of his possessions to son Charles (4thchild) for safe keeping while the family made the trip to Texas to visit daughter Maria Atkinson and her family, who had come to Texas in February 1835.  In December 1838, the Baughman family from Mississippi (believed to include 10th child John Benechke Bachman at eighteen, 11thchild William Gordon at 16, unmarried 6thchild Maryan, 8thchild Harriet Jourdan and her husband, and possibly some Caraway children accompanied their mother) arrived in Austin County, Texas where the Atkinsons lived.  There is no account of how long the Bachman parents remained in Texas and they were not found in the 1840 Census, while John Atkinson’s name appears in it. John Benechke Bachman went back to Mississippi in 1843, and possibly all of them returned together, however, on February 26, 1846, Charles Bachman released and cancelled the deed his father had signed.  The 1850 Census shows John Bachman (Baughman) and daughter Maryan in Carroll County, Mississippi, whereas, John’s wife Rachel does not appear so it is assumed she had died by that time.  As recorded by letter written by John Benechke Bachman, his father came back to Texas in 1857.  By that time, six of his children were living in Texas, and 7thchild Nancy Dulaney had died in Texas the previous year.  John Baughman died from “dropsey of the heart” and was buried near the city of Austin. 

John Baughman studied herbs and made medicines, and living on the frontier, he was often called to render first aid.  He realized the value of an education, and urged his younger sons, at least, to take advantage of opportunities to learn.  John grew up in a German speaking home, and as he went through life he would lapse into the German vernacular, especially when excited, and the family members would have to stop him and slow him down.

Baughman Immigration to South Carolina

England originally gave Carolina in 1663 to eight Lords Proprietors and due to rebellions the Crown took control back in 1729 (for more info:  With the majority of settlers on the coast, Governor Robert Johnson created nine 20,000 acre townships in 1730 to entice new settlers into the interior, to serve as a buffer against increasing Native American hostilities.  One of the townships was Congaree on the South side of the Congaree River which was renamed Saxe-Gotha (to honor the spouse of a member of the British Royal Family who was born in an area of Germany known as Saxe Gotha) Township in 1735 when settled by German Lutherans. Settlers were offered free transportation to South Carolina, free provisions for one year, and free land. No formal town of Saxe-Gotha was ever formed as settlers preferred large tracts of land and separation from neighbors, thus the name disappeared in 1800s during redefinitions of counties and districts.  The heart of Saxe-Gotha Township is located in present day town of Congaree in Lexington County, South Carolina. [1]

(Note: Definitive records are scarce, name spellings vary (Baughman/Bachman/Bechman/Bockman, Hans/John, Ulrich/Ulrick, etc.), and there appear to be multiple Baughman's immigrating from Germany/Switzerland to Philadelphia, South Carolina, etc.  making this a very interesting and confusing puzzle)

Our decendants likely came from Hans Ulrich Baughman who immigrated to Saxegotha, South Carolina from Zürich, however sources differ on how and when

  • Historian Harriet Imrey cites a John Ulrick Beckman journeyed on the ship William arriving in 1735 [3]      
  • Family historian Minnie Ray Bachman Swofford cites that family traditions states three Baukman brothers (Felix, Heinrich, and Hans Ulrick) immigrated from Germany and landed at Philadelphia aboard the Jamaica Galley on February 7, 1739…speculating this is not correct as Saxe-Gotha was settled in 1735  [2]

The initial land survey for Hans Ulrich Bachman does not exist, however, land on either site was surveyed on February 5, 1735/6.  Additionally, a grant of 100 acres was issued to “Weldrish Bootman” on Sept 16, 1739, indicating that Baughman had a wife as a single dependent (50 acres issued to each person).    Then on Feb 22, 1743, another grant of 150 acres was given on behalf of 3 children born since arrival.  The following map is from 1759 showing neighbors to Jacob Haghabucher, Anthony Stack, and Roodie Cooplet.  [3]

While many details about the Hans Ulrich Baughman family remain unknown, the following documents formulate the current speculation on the family:

  • Due to petitions for land, Hans Ulrich Baughman had
    • three children born between his 1734/5 arrival and 27 Jan 1741/2 
    • another child born by 31 Jan 1744/5
    • and another two by 2 Mar 1748/9
    • while possible that he had later children, no land was sought on their behalf (some early female settlers continued to bear children for as long as 20 years after the marriage, but 15 years of fertility was more common and of course, nothing rules out a second marriage of Hans Ulrich to a younger woman)
  • Hans Ulrich Baughman had sons named
    • Anthony, Ulrich and Joseph, because men by that name were old enough to sign documents by 1762
    • Henry Baughman who witnessed a deed in 1769 was likely a son
    • buyers or sellers of land had to be 21, but a witness or petitioner might be as young as 14
  • Hans Ulrich Baughman was living as of 1762, because he signed documents then.  Actually, he used a mark in 1762, but a full signature in earlier years.  The transition from signing to marking usually meant impaired health (accident to dominant hand, palsy, blindness, or other age-related problems).  We don't know how long he may have lived after 1762
  • Ulrich (Sr. and/or Jr.) and Anthony provided supplies for the Cherokee campaign of 1759 (what South Carolina called the French and Indian War), in which Anthony served as a private under Lt. Henry Gallman
  • It appears Hans Ulrich Baughman died between 1762 (last known signature) and 1778 as son Anthony is listed as a Petit Juror (intended to cover all property owner who paid, or owed, taxes in Orangeburgh Township).  Possible indication that Anthony is the oldest son who is heir
  • And then property ownership changed again between 1778 and 1805 as Senate Petition #64 (25 Nov 1805) was signed by adult men who had a legal interest in one of the colonial town lots of Saxegotha.  The men (aged 16+) who had an interest in Town Lot #3, granted to “Weldrish Bootman”, were John Baughman Sen., Uldrick Baughman (Sen. or Jun.?  Illegible), Jacob Baughman, John Baughman, Ulrick Bauchman and Henry Baughman indicating there are probably two generations of Ulrichs and two generations of Johns.
  • Margaret Geiger, likely born between 1740 and 1748, married an Ulrich Baughman (which one?) who had two daughters [6]
    • Elizabeth Baughman who married James Sharpe and
    • Mary Baughman who married someone with surname Craps

All of this leads to the speculation of:

  • Anna Barbara Bachmann (b: March 11, 1703) married Jacob Hagenbuch…speculate kin as they are the same generation, came on the same boat, had adjacent land)
  • Hans Ulrich Baughman (guessing ~1710 to ~1775)
    • Ulrich II (guessing ~1740 to ?)
      • John (1774-1860)  =====>OUR DESCENDANT
      • Henry (1780-1829)
      • Jacob (1785-1870) married Nancy Haugabook (parents were Jacob and Susannah Haugabook)…LCV5-YSY and LJRS-6TB
      • Ulrick (son or grandson)
      • Deceased son…maybe Joseph
        • John
    • Anthony
    • Joseph
    • Anthony


  2. Swofford, Minnie Ray Bachman (1979).   OUR BACHMAN ANCESTORS AND OUR KIN.
  3. Imrey, Harriet.  Research and Speculation on Family of Hans Ulrich Bachmann
  4. Geiger, Percy L. 1945.  THE GEIGERS OF SOUTH CAROLINA.  Allen County Public Library
  5. Lexington County, SC (which was first named Saxe Gotha township about 1733) cemetery GPS mapping project list 3 cemeteries with Baughman.
    • Baughman #1:   33°53'19.0"N 81°04'02.0"W
    • Baughman #2:   33°52'15.1"N 81°07'31.6"W
    • Baughman-Moye