Callaway (Calloway)

Clarice Nell Calloway (b: Mar 8, 1898 Downsville, Louisiana; m: Francis Gerald Ormsby Jun 6, 1921; d: Aug 12, 1985 Bunkie, Louisiana)

Clarice Calloway met Francis Gerald Ormsby at Louisiana Tech in Ruston, Louisiana where he was studying banking and she was studying home economics teaching.  Francis served in the army during WWI and Clarice finished her degree during that time and started teaching 6thgrade in Ferriday, Louisiana.  When Francis returned from war and finished his degree, he went to Chicago and worked at a bank and invited Clarice (who was accompanied to Chicago by brother Wattie Aubry Callaway) where Francis proposed, and they were married.  They moved to Poughkeepsie, New York where Francis worked at a bank. In 1922, Francis came back to Ferriday, Louisiana to enter his father’s Louisiana Hoop Company, INC. business, they moved after the great flood of 1927 (Mississippi River), to Bunkie, Louisiana.  Clarice was known by her grandmother name “Tattie” given to her by neighbor Gladys Ernest's kid Charles.  She loved to bake pies and cookies with grandkids, never using a recipe.  She also helped make grandkid doll clothes, always without a pattern.  Socially, Clarice loved playing bridge with her friends in the living room of her 710 Lake St. Bunkie, LA home.

Winsor Francis "Frank" Calloway (b: Nov 29, 1850 Noxubee, Mississippi; d: Feb 11, 1918 Downsville, Louisiana) and Alice Amazon Watson (b: Jan 1857 Ouachita, Louisiana; d: Feb 26, 1943 Downsville, Louisiana)

Need investigation as very little information on the Internet.  May have operated a store in Downsville, Louisiana.Alice Amazon Watson
Winsor "Frank" Frances Calloway

William Abner Callaway (b: Sept 1788; m: Acenith Cleveland; d: 1837)

William A. Callaway moved from Georgia to Giles County, Tennessee with his father-in-law Larkin Green Cleveland and family, appearing on the tax list in 1812. He was a farmer and a “useful” Baptist preacher. After the death of Larkin Green Cleveland in Giles County, Tennessee in 1814, the Cleveland and the Callaway families resided in Alabama and later in Mississippi. 

Rev. Francis Callaway Jr. (b: between 1756 and 1759; m: Sarah Brewer about 1777; d: 1817)

Francis was born in Virginia and baptized in 1759 by Elder Thomas Gilmer of North Carolina. Francis married Sarah Brewer of North Carolina around 1777.  Around 1783 after the Revolutionary War ended, and Francis and Sara were in Charleston, South Carolina and made a move to Wilkes County, Georgia, uniting with the Huttonsford Church (now called Sardis).  Shortly after, a difference sprung up in the church on Faith (one party led by Mercer and the other by Walker).  Francis took sides with Walker and was excluded, while Sarah continued with the original church.  Around 1794, they moved to Pendleton District, South Carolina and settled on Cane Creek. Sarah moved her membership to Shoal Creek Baptist Church, just across the line in Georgia, which was under the pastoral care of John Cleveland.  They remained in that neighborhood about eleven years and when the excitement over the difficulties between the Mercer & Walker parties had subsided, Francis, through the advice and assistance of Elder John Cleveland, was restored to fellowship in the Hutton's Creek Church.  Francis drew a letter from Hutton’s Creek church and united with the Shoal Creek Baptist Church, by whose authority he was ordained to the full work of the gospel ministry.  Francis was called to the care of the Liberty Baptist Church of Pendleton District, South Carolina, and served said church as pastor for about twenty-five years, when failing health caused him to resign.  About 1805, Francis moved to Franklin County, Georgia and settled about five miles from Garnsville.  Sarah died in 1807, after which Francis married November 2, 1813 a widow Sally Russell in Franklin County, Virginia (she died August 19, 1845 in Lincoln County, Tennessee).  Francis went to work with his characteristic zeal, and through his labors, established Hunter's Creek Church, which flourished greatly up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1817 or 1818.

Francis Callaway Sr. (b: about 1716; m: Frances Gaddah about 1777; d: 1791)

Francis was a land owner on the waters of Tomahawk Creek in Goochland County, Virginia, on the lower side of the Buffalo Creek and Brunswick County, Virginia. Because of his advanced age during the Revolutionary War, Francis served as “Gentleman Justice” of Bedford County, Virginia from July 1763 to December 1774 and was eventually commissioned High Sheriff of Bedford County October 1774 for two tears.  Francis moved over the state line to Surry County, North Carolina in 1778 and later to Georgia where he is believed to have died in Wilkes County.  Siblings of Francis Callaway Sr.

  • Thomas Callaway (b: Sept 12, 1712; m: May Baker; d: Feb 1800)  Thomas was the oldest sibling of Francis Callaway Sr., and served in French and Indian War. Thomas was High Sheriff of Pittsylvania County, Virginia.  Thomas moved to Surry County, North Carolina and then Wilkes County (which later became Ashe County).  Thomas married May Baker and they had ten children.  Tradition says that Daniel Boone gave Thomas a piece of rock when he left North Carolina and Thomas etched "TC" on the stone himself.
  • William Callaway (b: 1744; d: 1777)  William Callaway was born in 1714, probably in Caroline County, Virginia and became a prominent and wealthy land owner of that State, as he bought fifteen thousand acres of land in Lunenburg, Brunswick, Bedford, and Halifax Counties.  William commanded militia in the French and Indian Wars that were waged between 1755, and 1761.  He was commissioned a Colonel during his service, and also participated in the American Revolutionary War. He later presided at the first William Callawaycourt held in Bedford County, but this was just the beginning of his civil service, because William remained in the Virginia House of Burgesses for thirteen sessions.  In 1753, William Callaway, gifted one hundred acres of land to the newly formed County of Bedford to be developed into a town called New London, the county seat.  William first married on January 8, 1735, to Elizabeth Tilley, and after her death he married a second time, about 1752, to Elizabeth Crawford. Colonel William Callaway died in Bedford Virginia in 1777 and is buried in the Callaway-Steptoe Cemetery. His first son James buried near his father, was also a man of great wealth who fought in the French and Indian Wars and the Revolutionary War. James, a close personal friend of General George Washington also built the first iron furnace south of the James River. This furnace played a big roll in the production of military supplies used in the revolution.
  • Richard Callaway (b: Jun 14, 1717; m: Frances Walton about 1745 with 13 children and Elizabeth Jones Hoy about 1767 with 3 children; d: Oct 8, 1780)  Richard owned and sold property in Brunswick County, Virginia on the lower side of Buffalo Creek, Lunenburg County, Virginia (plantation where he lived with his wife, Frances and his family), Blue Ridge Mountains (plantation the remainder of years in Bedford County with second wife Elizabeth Jones Hoy), and near the Town of New London.  Richard Callaway served during the French and Indian wars in 1755, ultimately being promoted to the rank of colonel in the militia at Fort Blackwater.  There Richard became acquainted with and experienced in the construction and defense of outpost forts that became valuable when in the move from Virginia to the Yadkin region of North Carolina, Richard Callawayhe became acquainted with the famous explorer, Daniel Boone. This relationship led to Richard's connection to the Transylvania Company and his participation in the founding of Boonesborough. It began when Daniel Boone, Colonel Callaway, and about 28 other pioneers began to mark and cut out a road to the spot of their destination, Boonesborough, in February 1775. They were attacked by Indians twelve miles from Boonesborough and one man was killed and another wounded. None the less the men were successful and what was soon to be known as Kentucky, saw it's beginning. Richard returned to Virginia and brought families to Boonesborough September 1775.  On Sunday, July 14, 1776, Indians captured three teenage girls from Boonesborough as they were floating in a canoe on the Kentucky River. They were Jemima, daughter of Daniel Boone, and Elizabeth and Frances, daughters of Colonel Richard Callaway. The Cherokee Hanging Maw led the Indians, a war party of two Cherokee and three Shawnee men. The settlement was thrown into turmoil and a rescue party was organized by Callaway and Boone. Meanwhile the captors hurried the girls north toward the Shawnee towns across the Ohio River. The girls attempted to mark their trail until threatened by the Indians.  The third morning, as the Indians were building a fire for breakfast, the rescuers came up. "That's Father's gun!" cried Jemima, as one Indian was shot. He toppled into the fire and was seriously burned but not immediately killed. Two of the Native Americans later died from being wounded during the brief gunfight. The Indians retreated, leaving the girls to be escorted home.  Jemima soon married one of the rescuing party, Flanders Callaway. Elizabeth Callaway married Samuel Henderson and Frances, John Holder. The episode served to put the settlers in the Kentucky wilderness on guard andCallaway and Boone Girls Captured prevented their straying beyond the fort and is said to have been the inspiration for "The Last of The Mohican's" by James Fenimore Cooper.  In September of 1778, the fort at Boonesborough was surrounded by a powerful force flying the English flag--four hundred and forty-four savages gaudy in the vermilion and ocher of their war-paint, and eleven Frenchmen, under the command of French-Canadian, Captain Dagniaux de Quindre, and the great Indian Chief, Black-fish. During the siege Callaway, the leader of the pioneers, made a wooden cannon wrapped with wagon tines, which on being fired at a group of Indians "made them scamper for there lives". The secret effort of the Indians to tunnel a way underground into the fort, being discovered by the defenders, was frustrated by a countermine. Unable to outwit, outfight, or outmaneuver the resourceful Richard Callaway, de Quindre finally withdrew on September 16th, closing the longest and severest attack that any of the fortified stations of Kentucky had ever been called upon to withstand.  In October of 1779, the Virginia Legislature granted Richard Callaway's petition to build a ferry across the Kentucky River at Boonesborough. On March 8, 1780, Colonel Richard Callaway and several companions were working on his ferry boat about a mile above the settlement at Boonesborough, when they were fired upon by a party of Shawnee Indians. Callaway was killed, scalped, burned, and rolled in the mud. Pemberton Rawlings was mortally wounded in the attack and also died. The two comrades were buried in a single grave within the old fort or stockade at Boonesborough.  Callaway’s scalp was recognized later as it was legendary “for it’s length and peculiar shade of grey.”  Calloway County, Kentucky, founded in 1822, was named in honor of Richard Callaway.

Edmund Callaway (b: about 1610-1620; m: Catharine?; d: about 1719)

Born in Cornwall, England, records show he immigrated on May 11, 1639 to a Virginia port. 

REVOLUTIONAIRES

Larkin Cleveland (b: Apr 6, 1748; m: Frances “Fanny” Wright Feb 1773; d: Jul 9, 1814)

Larkin Cleveland was the father of Acenith Cleveland (born May 10, 1788) who married Baptist preacher William Abner Callaway.  Larkin was born in Blue Run, Orange County, Virginia to parents John Cleveland and Elizabeth Coffey.  Larkin was a Lieutenant in the Burke/Wilkes County, North Carolina Militia during the American Revolutionary War.  He served under his brother ColonelBenajamin Cleveland and was badly wounded while on a march to King’s Mountain, some 10 miles from Crider’s Fort, crossing the Brushy mountain to Lovelady’s Ford of the Catawba.  While crossing the river, Lt. Larkin Cleveland was shot by some concealed Tories under Capt. John Murray in the cliff, severely wounding him in the thigh. The Tories probably mistook him for brother Col. Benjamin Cleveland, whom he very much resembled. Cleveland was transported up the river in a canoe where ee was kindly cared for by Mrs. McDowell at Quaker Meadows where he recovered, though he was a cripple for life.  He removed to Franklin, Georgia and settled in Lincoln County, Tennessee.  In 1804, Larkin Cleveland was granted a passport to explore newly acquired Louisiana Territory.  Again in 1810, Larkin Cleveland requested a passport to travel through the Cherokee & Creek Nations where he travelled to Franklin County, Georgia and ultimately to Lincoln County, Tennessee.  Larkin Cleveland is buried in Lane Cemetery, Buford Station, Lynville, Giles County, Tennessee. 

COLONISTS

William Powell (b: Mar 16, 1577; m: Margaret Whitney; d: after 1623)

William Powell, born in St. Olave Parish, Surrey, England, was an early Jamestown settler in the new colony of Virginia working as a planter, but also holding political and military positions.  In February 1610, Acting Governor Captain John Percy sent William Powell to capture or kill Wochinchopunck, the chief of the Paspahegh, who was harassing and killing other colonist and William ended up killing him with the sword.  Deputy Governor Samuel Argall appointed William Powell as captain, responsible for the Jamestown defenses and its blockhouses, and further appointed him lieutenant governor in 1617.  Powell was a member of the first Virginia House of Burgesses in 1619, representing James City County, Virginia.  On March 22, 1622, a great Native American (Indian) massacre of at least 347 of the 1,258 Virginia colonists occurred as a result of the fragile diplomatic relationship, continued spreading of settlers beyond the original Jamestown settlement along the York and James Rivers, and change in tribal leadership when Chief Powhatan died (Pocahontas’ father) and his younger brother the charismatic Opechancanough, a great and feared warrior became the tribal Chief.  Sometime later in 1622 or early 1623, Captain William Powell was killed leading a party of militia seeking revenge of the massacre against the Native Americans (Indians). William Powell originally married Margaret Whitney and they had at least 4 children. He then married Elizabeth Welles, and they had at least 4 children.

Captain John Browning (b: 1588; m: Elizabeth Dameron 1614; d: about 1635) 

This Captain John Browning was the founder of one of the oldest and first families of Virginia and 4 generations later, Catherine Ann Browning married Joseph Callaway Jr. in 1735.  The Browning family were residents in the Gloucester region or England before 1335 and had been major businessmen, land owners, sheriffs, members of parliament and hosts to various noblemen over the years. The name may be spelled as Bruning, Brunyn, Brounyng as well as Browning.  The Demarron name is of French extraction and may be connected to the invasion of William the Conqueror of Normandy in 1066.  Captain John Browning was born in England about 1589 and sailed from Gravesend, England in the ship "Abigail" in 1621. His ship landed on "College Lands", later known as Jamestown, York County, Virginia. His known children (with wife Elizabeth Dameron) were George, William, and Joseph Browning. George was born in England in 1614, William was born in England in 1615, and Joseph was born in England in 1617. George and William came with their father Captain John on the "Abigail" to America. Joseph came after them aboard the ship "Thomas", leaving London on August 21, 1635. Captain John finally settled in Elizabeth City. He was a prominent citizen and served as Burgess of Elizabeth City in 1629, of Morris Bay in 1632, and again of Elizabeth City in 1635. In 1638 he purchased 3,000 pounds of tobacco and all land lying in Mounds Bay and belonging to Thomas Grindon. His manor plantation was about three miles from Williamsburg and two miles from Jamestown. 

William Swann (b: July 10, 1586; m: Judith Greene Apr 16, 1612; d: Feb 28, 1638)
Thomas Swann (b: May 8, 1616; m: Mary Mansfield 1668; d: May 16, 1680)

William Swann was born at Gravesend, Kent, England, the son of Samuell Swann and a descendant of Baron John Swan of Kent.  William Swann married Judith Greene, the widow of William Austen, at St. Dunstain's Church, Middlesex, England in 1612. William came to Jamestown, Virginia in 1616 and had son Thomas, there and then went back to England. William was a stockholder in the Virginia Company and was appointed Royal Customs Collector of Virginia. The Swanns finally settled permanently in Virginia in 1635 and William served as Land Registrar and Royal Customs Collector of the Virginia Colony until his death in 1638.  William was granted 1200 acres of land across the James River from Jamestown in Surry County, Virginia, built a tobacco plantation, and named it Swann's Point.  William’s son Thomas Swann was involved in the growth, transportation, and sale of tobacco to England as well as colonial politics in Virginia.  Burgess for James City from 1645 to 1649; and for Surry from 1657 to 1658. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in 1658, and was appointed a Member of the Council in 1659, which place he held until his death. His name occurs frequently in the records of Surry, of which County he was appointed a Justice and Lieutenant Colonel of the Militia in 1652.  Thomas Swann was one of the signatories to a letter sent by the Governor and Council of Virginia to the King and Privy Council, which was presented there on 16 October 1667. This was a complaint against Lord Baltimore, Governor of Maryland, for disallowing the cessation from planting of tobacco for a year, as stipulated by his own Commissioners.  Colonel Thomas Swann, contrary to the majority of wealthy men in Virginia, was a supporter of Nathaniel Bacon in his revolution against Governor Berkeley.  The Royal Commissioners, appointed by King Charles II to inquire into the causes of Bacon's rebellion, met at Thomas Swann’s residence at Swann's Point in 1677, and for this courteous act he received a pardon. 

Richard Thompson (b: about 1613; m: Ursula Bish Nov 6, 1641; d: about 1649) 

Richard Thompson was born in Norwich, county Norfolk, England in 1613 and was a servant to William Claiborne from 1631 to 1634 on Kent Island. After Thompson became a freeman, they continued their professional relationship, with Thompson acting as Claiborne's agent for at least a decade (history of Talbot County, Maryland, shows Richard Thompson was given Poplar Island by William Claiborne).  Thompson began trading for beaver pelts with Indians, and amassed "a considerable estate". In 1639, he returned home from a trip to find his entire family of nine massacred by the Indians.  In 1644, Maryland declared Claiborne an enemy as it was claiming Kent Island and as such, his agent, Richard Thompson was denounced also. Thompson fled to Chicacone [on the Virginia side of the Potomac] and died shortly after, possibly in 1649.

Edward Coffey Cofey, Coffee (b: about 1670; m: Ann Ester Powell 1700; d: before 1716) 

Edward Coffee came to Virginia, in about the early 1690's, as an indentured servant to William Moseley probably during the Williamite Confiscation (Following Battle Of Boyne).  DNA evidences seems to show that the Coffey family originated in the Wexford, Kilkenny and Tipperary Counties of Ireland. The will of Edward Mosely, dated January 6, 1699 gave his "servant Ed. Coffe one heifer of 2 years old."  Then on September 10, 1700, Edward Coffey received a judgment from the Mosely estate for his freedom, corn, and clothes. Edward married Ann Ester Powell, the daughter of Thomas Powell and Mary Place in Essex County, Virginia in 1700. They lived in St. Ann's Parish, Essex County, Virginia where he and his family purchased land and grew tobacco, the primary cash crop in Virginia.