Reta Winona “Nonie” Ormsby (b: Aug 19, 1923 Natchez, Mississippi; m: Jack Bachman Cochran Dec 4, 1943; d: May 15, 2018 Bunkie, Louisiana)

Reta Winona Ormsby as babyReta Winona Ormsby was originally named Francis by her mother Clarice who thought that was the agreement with father Francis who was not present at the time.  Later, Francis came back saying "no, we want Reta Winona” to name her after an Indian girl in their New York apartment that the Ormsby’s had admired, so they had it changed.  After her marriage to Jack Cochran, she applied for a birth certificate and it came back Francis.  Both parents were kind of sheepish as they told her the story and then paid to legally have her changed to Reta Winona as apparently, the change at her birth never made it to the permanent records.  For her early years, Reta Winona Ormsby lived in Ferriday, Louisiana where her father owned and operated the family business, Louisiana Hoop Company.  The family moved to Bunkie, Louisiana in 1930, following the great flood of 1927.  Winona attended Bunkie Elementary where she once played the piano at an assembly to represent her grade.  She passed musical ability down the family by insisting on lessons for her kids.  Sheet music found by family from those days revealed she an early nickname…“Wendy.”  Winona Ormsby became engaged to a young U.S. Army Lieutenant, Jack Bachman Cochran, when he was graduating from Officer Training School at Fort Sill in Lawton, Oklahoma on September of 1943.  The marriage took place at the David Haas United Methodist Church in Winona’s hometown, Bunkie, on December 4, 1943. After a week long honeymoon that started the first night in Baton Rouge and then New Orleans, they returned to Fort Sill where Jack was serving in the 349thField Artillery School Group under Colonel Charles Boyle.  Jack and Winona enjoyed Fort Sill, but living conditions were not always for the best.  Their first home was a one car Reta Winona Ormsby LSUconverted garage with a living/bedroom area, small bath, kitchen, and closet…all small.  One of their entertainments was to sit in the living area and watch the mice run from the stove to the refrigerator and back again.  They did enjoy going out to the base to eat at the officer’s club, the dances, and going to church.  Winona had two courses of study to complete to graduate from LSU and it was while they were at Fort Sill that she completed her courses by correspondence and received her degree by mail.  After Fort Sill, Jack and Winona were moved with the troops to Fort Hood.  Winona was pregnant with their first child, so she was allowed a chauffeur to make their trip to the new assignment.  They bought a blue 1941 Chevrolet in Lawton for $3000 (later sold it in Bunkie for the same amount after Jack was sent overseas and Winona returned home to live with her parents).  The entire convoy had to make frequent stops for Winona to take a “comfort break”.  The housing situation at Fort Hood in Gatesville, Texas was even worse.  The town was very dusty, and roaches were everywhere. You couldn’t walk the sidewalks or enter the stores without seeing roaches running around.  Finding housing was difficult and the only place Jack Jack and Winona Cochranand Winona could find was the front room in a small house, which also had another couple renting there.  They had to walk through the bedroom of the owners to go to the bathroom and had to buy their share of rationed ice to have kitchen privileges.  Winona had to take her ration book to the local icehouse, stand in line for her allotment, and haul the ice back to the refrigerator.  After several months, they secured a room in the local hotel.  Winona finally went to Throckmorton, Texas to stay with Jack’s mother for the remaining duration of their stay in the states, with Jack commuting on the weekends and furloughs.  Jack’s assignment was to Northern Italy and during this time, the Red Cross informed him of the birth of his first daughter Sandra Dianne, eight days after the birth.  The name had been settled on long before overseas shipment, but the name she was to be called took a bit more time.  Jack had assumed that his daughter would be called Sandra and Winona thought they would call her Dianne.  So, he wrote about Sandra and Winona described his beautiful daughter as Dianne.  It took about a week for mail to arrive and when he got his first letter from Winona, he changed to the name Dianne, and Winona got her first letter, she changed to Sandra.  Then they got letters again and so the names were once again switched. This went on back and forth for several months, and Jack finally wrote back that he was going to call his daughter Dianne and not make any more changes, and thus she remained from that day on.  After the war, Winona and Jack lived in Bunkie, Louisiana to raise children Sandra"Nonie" Winona Cochran Dianne, Frances Geraldine, Jane Alice, and Bert Francis while also working as bookkeeper in the family business, Bunkie Wood Products.  Winona was Christian by faith, and actively walked and served that faith at Bunkie’s David Haas Memorial United Methodist Church (fire destroyed most of the church in November 2016).  Even with all their travelling, Winona always ensured the family attended Sunday School each week where ever they were travelling, ensuring the family kept the perfect attendance streak going.  Jack and Winona bought property in 1973 on Indian Creek Reservoir and built “Camp” which transitioned over the years from an Airstream RV, to shell with living space and upstairs sleeping around the Airstream RV, to a full functioning lake house.  Camp was a gathering place for family, friends, church groups, etc. for many years for good, clean fun (boating, fishing, swimming, camp fires, holiday celebrations, coffee on porch rocking chairs, etc.).  Winona loved to travel around the world with trips to China, Greece, Egypt, Canada, much of Europe, USA, etc. and encouraged family to travel by taking kids and grandkids on trips.  Jack and Winona also owned recreational vehicles (RVs) for road trips around Louisiana and USA with family members and Methodist Camping Group.  On long road trips, she would typically have done research and would read about the town out loud for all in the car as driving through.  Winona loved investing in stock market and would frequently talk about positions she was in and how she was beating her financial advisor.  She was affectionately known as “Nonie” by grandkids, great grandkids, and friends in later part of her life.  Nonie was remembered as serving Jack Cochran with great devotion in the later years of his life until he passed away June 21, 2005.  Nonie continued to live in Bunkie and lived her last years with Alzheimer’s Disease which affected her short-term memory, before passing away May 15, 2018.

Francis “Papoo” Gerald Ormsby (b: Apr 1, 1898; m: Clarice “Tattie” Nell Calloway June 6, 1921; d: Apr 5, 1973)

Francis Ormsby 1921Francis Gerald Ormsby met Clarice Calloway at Louisiana Tech in Battle of Pine Tree?Ruston, Louisiana.  He was studying banking and she was studying home economics teaching. Francis volunteered and mobilized April 1, 1918 to serve in the army during WWI and wanted to fight with a gun, but because he was a business major, he was selected to serve as a book keeper in France, sometimes on just a plank between two stumps. Francis also served as a bugler. One funny story told was the “Battle of the Pine Trees” when an alarm was sounded in middle of night and he started running and ran into a pine tree.  Clarice finished her degree during war and taught 6thgrade in Ferriday, Louisiana.  When Francis returned from war and finished his degree (appears it was not on stage, maybe just correspondence), he went to Chicago and worked at a bank and invited Clarice (who was accompanied to Chicago by brother Wattie Aubry Callaway) where Francis proposed and they were married.  They moved to Poughkeepsie, New York where Francis worked at a bank.  In 1922, Francis came back to Louisiana to enter his father’s Louisiana Hoop Company, INC. business, but only after father John Ed Ormsby fire Endis, Francis brother, because he could not work with him.  Flooding of the Mississippi River generally put the mill out of business for four to five months out of the year.  After the great flood of 1927 (Mississippi River), Francis decided to move the business to Bunkie, Louisiana in 1930 after testing all the flood areas and availability of good forest materials.  Barrels proved to be a stable economic provider for the city of Bunkie, Louisiana especially thru the depression years.  During World War II, barrels were in demand for shipping goods overseas for the war effort, giving Louisiana Hoop Company a priority status.  Daughter Winona said he really didn't hug much, but she always knew he loved her.  He was sort of a "democratic type."  For instance, once when a teacher said she'd give bonus points for typing the assignment, Papoo was angered as he didn't think it was fair since many of the kids did not have access to a typewriter (Winona did, however).  So, he made Clarice talk to Mr. Snotty (mean principle...stern I guess) and cancelled the whole thing.  Winona wasn't well received after that.  Papoo was also a humorous, prankster.  He loved to set you up and find a weakness in your character as fair game for having fun.  These pranks seemed like Papoo's way of experimenting to see how he could manipulate the behaviors of the mind, learn about human behavior and dependency.  Some examples were 

  • Grandson Bert Cochran left his cat Boots with Papoo and when he returned to pick up Boots, he was so fat that the cat could not get off the floor.  Papoo had fed the cat one shrimp at a time just to see how much the cat would eat and if it would ever stop.  He would laugh how the cat could not get up, but would reach out it’s tongue to pull in the shrimp, of course as time went on he would put the shrimp just out of reach to make it work harder for the free meal.  
  • On a vacation going East toward Florida with his close friends, they would drive all night and switch drivers, but he would fail to tell them he turned the truck going West and let them drive for 30 minutes or so just to see them try to figure it out.
  • Papoo would take granddaughter Geraldine and friend Donna during sleepovers to the dairy queen to get banana splits.  Then he would drive over the railroad crossing again and again until they were screeching with laughter with ice cream all over.  
  • Papoo would turn the color dials on the TV to green and purple for grandkids to watch shows in psychedelic colors. 

Papoo would frequently go fishing with a bunch of men at Grand Isle...one trip the station wagon slipped back into the ocean because they forgot the brake.  That car was used to help train the grandchildren in driving because it didn't matter if they wrecked it...it already stunk.  He had alligators at the mill and would bring the babies home and keep them in a concrete fountain behind the house.  People would pick them up and lay them on their back and pet their tummies.  He also had a bunch of cats around the mill and house that gave everyone ringworms...he claimed he wouldn't get the ringworms, but at some point, started wearing long sleeve shirts during the summer until someone saw the ringworms even poking out of his long sleeves.  In 1947, Francis’ son-in-law, Jack Cochran joined the business after returning from the service in Italy during WWII and after earning his bachelor’s degree in Forestry from LSU.  In 1950, Francis’ son, Gerald Edson “Tim” Ormsby entered the company after serving in the Pacific during WWII and completing his bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Texas A&M.  The company ventured into manufacturing green hardwood and pine furniture squares.  The first dry kilns were installed in 1952, and thereafter the furniture trade was supplied with kiln dried hardwood squares, manufactured to exact specified requirements of the furniture industry.  In 1962, Louisiana Hoop Company was the last remaining wooden hoop plant in the United States when it ceased its hoop production.  Jack and Tim had adapted, over the years from the barrel hoop to furniture squares, and hardwood pallets.  His daily tradition every morning was to kill a squirrel, go to the sawmill to read the mail and scale the logs, and then go home for lunch…which is what he did on his last day in 1973 when he sat down in his lounge chair in front of the TV waiting for wife Clarice to make lunch.  When she brought his lunch, he had died of a stroke.

John Edson Ormsby (b: 1864; m: Nelle Belle Lancaster Aug 9, 1895; d: 1927)

In 1910, John Edson Ormsby established a cooperage plant located in Ferriday, Louisiana under the name of Ferriday Hoop Company, which later to become Louisiana Hoop Company, INC. Elm logs were manufactured in a coiled wooden hoop used on slack barrels which was a primary bulk container of the era because of the ease of filling and handling with a single man. The company patented a 3/16” bevel on one side and the 5/16” bevel on the opposite side which allowed the hoops to fit better together around the barrel.  Elm boards were sawn and sent to a shear to make the long 2” wide beveled strips or hoops.  Later hoops were boiled to make them pliable to bend into coils. Barrels were filled with meats, pickles, flour, sugar, coffee, nails, and salt.

John Edson Ormsby

John Edson Ormsby's mother, Jane Fisher Ormsby

Alexander Ormsby (b: March 24, 1800; m: Nancy Ann Wolfcale; d: Mar 20, 1876)

Alexander and his younger brother Joseph Ormsby both married Wolfcale siblings.  Alexander married Nancy Ann Wolfcale and Joseph married Martha Wolfcale.  Alexander and Nancy married in Ohio and moved to Wells County, Indiana in 1852 and settled on a farm in Union Township, where they resided until death.  One account showed that Alexander and Nancy had 10 kids, 5 sons and 5 daughters.  Oliver Ashton Ormsby by whom our family runs was born in 1842.  Other kid of note was John H. Ormsby (1841-1902) who served superintendent of schools in Wells County and clerk of the Wells Circuit Court.

George Ormsby (b: 1774; m: Sarah McClellan; d: Nov 9, 1871)

George Ormsby came to America from Ireland in 1793 when he was 18 years old and settled in Mahoning County, Ohio about 1805 arriving on horseback.  There he married a Scotch lady, Sarah McClellan and married in 1797 in Maryland.  Sarah was a cousin of Civil War General George B. McClellan.  George and Sarah made a visit to Ireland, remained there about three years, and then returned to home in Ohio, where he died at the age of ninety-seven and a half years.  Possibly served as Army Captain in War of 1812 in Caleb Baldwin's Company?  George’s parents and ancestry are not clear.  There are rumors that it may have been Thomas Ormsby and Elizabeth Rutledge, but the math does not work out.  Regardless, the Ormsby family came from England, Scottland before that, and Scandinavia before even that.  There was a castle called “The Orme” on an estate called Ormsby in what is now Ormsby Parish, in Lincolnshire, England.  How they are all connected is unclear.  And ultimately, many Ormsby family stories go back to the Legend of Orm.

Legend of Orm

The father of Orm lived on the Scandinavian Peninsula and owned large tracts of land. He had several wives, which was normal for the wealthy who could afford large families and thus resulted in a large family of boys. As the boys grew to manhood, the father followed the custom of those times and gave each of his male offspring a portion of the land he owned. When the youngest and last son, Orm reached manhood, there was no more land requiring him to seek and forge for himself.  It is said that he used to wield a sword with one hand that any other man would have difficulty in wielding with two hands.  It is also said he crushed the skull of a large bear that attacked him with one blow of his fist. It was Orm's boast that he could wrestle and defeat any two strong men of his day.  About the year 750 AD, Orm joined a Viking crew under the leadership of an old, experienced Viking, who plundered the coast of Scotland.  At this time, Orm in his prime, must have been about thirty years of age.  Nearing the coast of Scotland, the Scots came out in their own ships to give battle. The Viking Leader was fearful that the Scots were too strong to overpower, and wishing to spur his men to greater effort, called them together and promised that he would grant the land of the captured territory to the first man who put his foot on Scottish soil. The battle with the Scots was fought about a mile from the coast of Scotland.  When Orm's ship came alongside of one of the Scottish ships, Orm was the first to board, and it was said, that with one blow of his mighty sword, he killed the three leading Scots.  He had killed about six of the Scots when he was overcome by one of his uncontrollable fits of rage. Flinging aside his sword, he rushed at his nearest Scot and, lifting him high in the air he bludgeoned the head on the side of the ship. However, in doing so he neglected other Scot fighters, and as he turned to defend himself, the broad axe of the Scottish Chieftain severed his leg just above the knee. Not to be beaten, the story has it, that ORM picked up the Scottish chief in his arms and “bear-hugging” him, crushed him to death.  At the end of the battle, Orm and his crew defeated the Scottish Chieftains boat, which outnumbered them three to one. With rude surgery, the Vikings succeeded in bandaging Orm's leg as the night was drawing near. Orm insisted on taking leadership of his crew the next morning despite his frightful injury and as the Viking ship neared the coast, Orm picked up his severed leg and threw it on the shore before the others had the opportunity to land, thus claiming the reward for having been the first man of the crew to put his foot on Scottish soil.  The Viking Chief kept his word and became ruler of the captured territory.  After subjugating the Scottish people, Orm settled in the new country.  After a few months, he later went back to Scandinavia and returned with a wife which was different from most of his crew who selected fresh wives from amongst the wives of Scottish Chieftains who had been slain in battles.  Orm only had one wife and as far as the records show he remained true to her during the whole of his life.  After making the settlement he never went on a Viking crusade again and it is believed that he lived to a considerable age.  Although he was much handicapped by the loss of his leg, he was still reckoned one of the strongest men in the land. Orm had seven children, three boys and four girls. The girls married and nothing further is heard of them. Two of the sons, in accordance with the Viking custom went away to far distant lands and no true record of them is known, although it is believed that one of these Vikings penetrated into the Mediterranean Sea and went over land to India. A fellow named Ormus Kahn, who as a border tribesman in the North of India of Pathan ancestry, later fought for the British in the Great war was reputed to be a direct lineal descendant of one of Orm’s children. But although there are many legends to this effect, little is known of this branch of the family. Of the other two of Orm’s children, both married and had children although one died in battle at an early age. The other son was a man of tremendous strength and fighting ability like his father.  It is definitely known that he had four children and that the family gradually migrated south towards what is now Lincolnshire. During this migration, these descendants populated many parts of the North of England.  Born in 965, or thereabouts, it was an heir, and prominent thane, retaining the family name, Orm, and holding a number of significant estates, that gave his name to Ormside, Ormskirk, and Ormesby from which descended the Ormsby clan. Later the "Bey" "By" "Bee" was added meaning the place over which Orm ruled and the name was changed to Ormsby meaning Orm's place. The settlement grew and prospered, and after many generations they quarreled with the government of England. After considerable fighting the King of England offered to grant a title and land in Lincolnshire to the Ormsby ruler if he would relinquish his control, and live peaceable as an English subject. Ormsby accepted and moved to Lincolnshire, England. The remaining Ormsby tribe scattered and nothing further is known of them. The English family however, became quite prominent, but little worthy of note was heard from them until the middle of the 11th century, Sir William de Ormsby. [edited from text from www.geni.com and www.surnameguide.com]

The Ormsby crest is a man’s arm holding in the hand the human armored leg as though he were about to throw it. Motto is Fortis Qui Prudens (Bravery with Prudence).  The name “ORM” originally from the "SCOTS" word meaning Elm tree, or as applied to a person, would mean one who comes from a place by or near an elm tree. The BEE or BY means a place hence the names Ormsbee, Ormsby, or Ormsbey were derived from "One who comes from Orm's place. [edited from text from www.geni.com and www.surnameguide.com]

Lancaster ancestors from Nellie Belle Lancaster marriage to John Edson Ormsby

Nelle Belle Lancaster (b: Aug 28, 1877; m: John Edson Ormsby Aug 9, 1895; d: May 31, 1972)

Nell Belle Lancaster, was affectionately known as “Mama Nell.”  Her father, Theodore A. Lancaster, died when she was 9 years old.  Meeting a preacher on a train, she quickly decided this would be a good husband for her mom finding he was headed to the same town in Indiana, Nell Belle Lancaster had him convinced by the time they got there.  She was musically inclined (had 8 lessons) and played byNellie Belle Lancaster ear.  Nelle Belle and John Edson lived in the Prospect neighborhood (Indianapolis?) from 1910 to 1930 when they moved to Natchez, Mississippi where Nelle Belle lived until her death in 1972though towards the end of her life she stayed with each of her three kids, but mostly with her daughter Ilene Ormsby Byrne in Natchez.  Mama Nell was a "lady."  She didn't drink, smoke, or say bad words...but she did love the nickel slots.  Son-in-law Francis Ormsby would give her a roll of nickels to play with, where she didn't see it as gambling since it wasn't her money. Mama Nell played the slot machines in Bunkie at the Kent Court Restaurant & Motel.  In those days you could have slot machines just about everywhere, just not the other gambling. The Kent Court was just south of the Bunkie Wood Products mill and had a swimming pool, a restaurant (with slots) and cabins to rent.   

Theodore A. Lancaster (b: 1850; m: Mary Virginia Hollopeter Aug 31, 1874; d: 1888)

Family legend is that Theodore was a good friend of Mark Twain (needs more investigation).Theodore LancasterMary Virginia Hollopeter

Mary Kaziah Zimmerman (b: Dec 21, 1833; m: John Wesley Hollopeter 1852; d: Jun 1, 1910)

Mary Kaziah Zimmerman was born in Pennsylvania and came as a young girl of 13 in 1846 to Allen County, Indiana.  In 1852 she married John Wesley Hollopeter, and they settled upon a farm near Cedarville.  She had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for fifty-four years and was widely known and universally esteemed and an untiring worker for the good of the church.  John died in 1893 and Mary stayed on the farm another 10 years until taking up residence in Leo, Indiana.  Mary died following an illness of six months from paralysis.

Frederick and Christina Roose (Frederick b: Mar 5, 1712; d: Mar 24, 1785 ~ Christina b: Jan 9, 1716; d: Mar 28, 1785)

Frederick was born in Germany in 1712 and came to America on the ship "Osgood” which landed at Philadelphia on Sept. 29, 1750.  Friderick Roose died in 1785 and wife Christina died four days later…love or sick?  They were buried in the Bentz Burying Ground, which was also the burial place of son in law Matthias Hollopeter.  November 1980 their gravestones were removed from the unprotected Bentz Burial Ground and in 1981 they were erected in the Quaker Cemetery in Wellsville, Pennsylvania, alongside the Quaker Meeting House.  Alternate last name spelling = Ruse.

Wolfcale ancestors from Nancy Ann Wolfcale marriage to Alexander Ormsby

John Wolfcale Sr. (b: June 13, 1751; m: Agnes Conard; d: July 1, 1839)

John Wolfcale was born in Germany, came to Philadelphia at an early age in 1760, married Agnes Conard, and moved to Loudoun County, Virginia in 1776.  Documentation shows that a John Wolfill served in the 8thVirginia Regiment of the American Revolutionary War.  Later John came to Ohio settling in Austintown. 

Anthony Conrad(b: 1706; m: Sarah Hatfield; d: Mar 17, 1747)

Father of Agnes Conrad, the wife of John Wolfcale Sr.  Anthony was spoke of as being a great hunter, spending a long life in such pursuits. It was said that he would have the garret of his house filled in winter with wild game, and had it marked with the date that he killed it, so as to eat it in due succession as an epicure. He would wade the Wissahickon in the depth of winter and finally contracted gout and rheumatism, which so ossified the flesh of his knuckles, that he could scrape chalk from them when old.

Cunraed Cunraeds (b: May 17, 1678; m: Anne Klincken May 31, 1704; d: Feb 2, 1747)

Cunraed and brothers Madtis and John, were naturalized February 20, 1713.  Documentation shows he was living in New Bristol or Skippack in 1782 and later in Matacbin in 1730.  Despite being married twice by Friends Ceremony, there is evidence that be belonged to the Reformed Church in Worcester known as “Wentz.”  Spent most of his married life in Worcester Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania where he owned 100 acres of land. 

John Hatfield (b: about 1688; m: Elizabeth?; d: ?)

Hatfield is the anglicized name from German name Hartsvelder, which is not the same Hatfield family that produced the famous outlaws as that family originates from England. Bought 198 acres near Philadelphia in 1717.

Germantown Founders

Germantown, Pennsylvania was founded by thirteen German, Mennonite families from Krefeld, Germany who purchased 1800 acres of land from William Penn.  The Mennonite faith/church was part of the second wave of the Protestant Reformation, Anabaptism, and were heavily and persecuted by Roman Catholics.  These families left Krefeld in search for religious freedom and sailed July 6, 1683 on the ship "Concord” and arrived in what became Germantown, Pennsylvania on October 6, 1683.

Thones Kunders (b: 1653; m: Elin Magadalen Tyson May 31, 1677; d: Dec 30, 1729)

Thones Kunders’ parents, Coentgen Lenssen Coenis and Anna Entgen, were originally Heckerhofestate owners in Gladbach-Damm, Germany.  Because they were Mennonites, the government of Julich-Berg ordered them, on 30 December 1652 to sell their possessions and leave the land within two years and either they could not or would not sell and entrusted his brother-in-law, Peter Kenten and his sister Giertgen with the management of the property and fled to Krefeld, Germany.  In 1669, the government of Julich-Berg ordered a commission to seize the possessions left behind by the banished Mennonites and also to find if any of "that Damned sect" still remained in the land and it was reported. Coentgen, residing in Krefeld, still owned property, which was eventually sold after his death around 1691.  Son Thones Kunders, was born and spent his early life at Krefeld, Germany, where he worked as a blue dryer (used blue dye to lighten textiles like calico during production or laundering). Thones and Elin Kunder were part of the Germantown settlers building a home on what is now Germanton Avenue.  His name was anglicized to Conrad with different first names noted of Dennis and Thomas.  In 1688, five years after founding Germantown, Pastorius, Gerret Hendericks, Derick Updegraeff and Abraham Updengraef gathered at Thones Kunders's house and wrote a two-page condemnation of slavery and sent it to the governing bodies of their Quaker church, the Society of Friends, becoming the birthplace of the anti-slavery movement in America.  The petition was mainly based upon the Bible's Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Though the Quaker establishment took no immediate action, the 1688 Germantown Quaker Petition Against Slavery was a clear and forceful argument against slavery and initiated the process of banning slavery in the Society of Friends (1776) and Pennsylvania (1780).

Mathais Dohrs (b: Sept 18, 1614; m: Agnes Neesgen Op den Graeff about 1640; d: after 1663)

Also known by names Matthys Doors and Theis Doors.  Mathais was a shopkeeper or "retail merchant" according to records of Kaldenkirchen in 1652.  He lived in a little house on a small piece of land near the town wall, about a quarter acre of arable land and alongside it a quarter acre of fishery rights, worth together about 350 Reichstalers.  Sometime before 1655, Theiss Doors left the Catholic Church and became a Mennonite and an effort was made to expel him from Kaldenkirchen by a fine of 100 gold guilders for some violation. He was unable to pay the fine, and the authorities confiscated the goods in his shop. The bailiff of Kaldenkirchen entered the Doors home, and got into an argument with Agnes Doors, who was soon to give birth to a baby, abused her, and struck her hard in the face. Charges were filed, and the case was eventually taken before Elector Philipp Wilhelm, Duke of Julich, who decreed that Theiss could stay on in Kaldenkirchen and was not to be further molested.  Theis and Agnes Doors was a parent or parent in law to many of the founders of Germantown, Philadelphia.

Aret Klincken (b: 1645; m: Niske Agnes Jensen; d: Feb 1708)

Aret Klincken came from Holland with William Penn in 1682 and built the first six-story house ever raised in Germantown. Penn was present and partook of the raising dinner.  Aret was a member for Germantown’s Religious Society of Friendsand due to his religious principles, he declined to be burgessin Germantown in 1695.  On Dec. 30, 1701 he was appointed overseer to collect subscriptions and arrange with a school teacher to start the first school in Germantown. 

Brickley ancestors from Bulinda Brickley marriage to John Wolfcale

Peter Brickley (b: 1748; m: Barbra ?; d: Sept 9, 1804)

Mathias Brickley from Karlsruhe, Baden, Germany and wife Elizabeth Fix from Burrn, Baden, Germany had three brothers: Michael, Paulus, and Peter Brickley.  Michael and Paulus were born in Germany, when the family emigrated to Pennsylvania where Peter Brickley was born.  Peter took the oath of allegiance to the State of Pennsylvania on May 29, 1778 and was a Revolutionary War Soldier in Captain Bretz's company of Berks County, Pennsylvania. Four of the children they raised were adopted in 1779 from Peter's brother Paulus and his wife Catherine passed away and left the children orphaned. Amish residents in Berks County confirmed that the original surname "Bruckle" is pronounced Brickley.